Call Trace is used to help protect you and your family from troubling or harassing phone calls that you need to report to law enforcement officials.
This service should only be used if you intend to take legal action against the caller.
For quick reference, use the following checklist to trace an incoming phone call. For more guidance, follow the detailed step-by-step instructions.
What you need to know before you start
- There is a fee for this service.
Follow these easy steps
Using Call Trace (*57)
Call Trace is used to help protect you and your family from troubling or harassing phone calls. If this situation arises:
- Hang up after receiving a troubling or harassing phone call.
- Immediately pick up the receiver.
- Press *57 when you hear the dial tone.
- A recorded voice message will confirm that the call has been traced.
- The traced information is released only to law enforcement officials after they have obtained a warrant to take legal action.
Note: Be sure to note the date and time of the call and contact your local police department if you want to take legal action against the caller.