If you do not have any dial tone when you pick up the phone, you need to first determine if this is occurring on all your telephone sets, or just one.
For quick reference, use the following checklist to to determine why you have no dial tone. For more guidance, follow the detailed step-by-step instructions.
What you need before you start
- If occurring on all your phone sets, use another phone to contact us at 1-888-214-7896.
- If, however, it is occurring on only one phone set, consider the following:
Follow these easy steps
Cordless phone with low battery
- If the phone has been off the charging base for an extended period of time it may not give a dial tone. Many cordless phone models beep to indicate low battery power.
- If the battery itself has not been replaced for a long time, it may not be charging properly and may need to be replaced.
- If you wish, you can try another phone in the same jack to determine if your cordless phone is working properly.
Unplugged or loose phone cord
Check to make sure your connection into the phone jack secure.
- If the cord has become loose or unplugged by accident, reattach firmly.
- Check your phone for a dial tone.
Checking for a Phone Set or Phone Jack issue
You can, if you wish, try another phone in the same jack to determine where the issue is located. If you determine it is the phone set:
- If your phone is rented from Bell Aliant, you can call 611 to arrange for home delivery of a new telephone set.
- If purchased from Bell Aliant, does it still fall under the one year warranty?
- If still under warranty, call 611 to arrange for home delivery of a new set.
- If beyond the one year date of purchase, correspond directly with the manufacturer of the telephone set.
- If your phone was not purchased from Bell Aliant, correspond directly with the manufacturer of your telephone set for repair.
Jack issues and the wiring inside your home
If you determine it is an issue with the phone jack, then the problem may be with the wiring inside your home.
- Bell Aliant is responsible for providing service and dial tone to your Telephone Protector, a small grey or black box located either on the outside of your home or inside your home near your electrical panel. This is considered the demarcation point or virtual demarcation point, beyond which all wiring and equipment in the home is the responsibility of the home owner.
- If the problem is with the wiring inside your home or one of your jacks you have the following options:
- Report your trouble and request a repair by calling 1-888-214-7896. Bell Aliant will dispatch a technician to repair your inside wiring. Please be advised that a minimum visit charge for labour and materials apply as Bell Aliant is not responsible for your inside wiring and jacks.
- You can call a qualified electrician, in your Bell Aliant Yellow Pages Directory.